Reading Wrapup: Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon April 2017

4 May

I was down in Philadelphia for the NFL draft on the day Dewey’s actually took place, so I did it exactly 1 week early on April 22nd. I usually just include readathon books in regular wrapups but then they end up being impossibly long, so I decided to split it up this time around! This was a good readathon for me: I only read for about 11 hours (maybe 12? I took a really long break to go for a walk & make dinner) and I didn’t wake up early or stay up later than usual. But I got 7 books read, and 1,186 pages! I mean, I mostly read short things (does Fuku Fuku even count?), but I also hit a lot of goals. I got 2 Man Booker International books, 1 Bailey’s, and 1 Hugo novella off my list, along with 3 physical unread books I own. 2 of them even count for the Read Harder challenge. So they all met goals, which is great! I was hoping to get to both of the Hugo novellas I had to read, but oh well, still a successful readathon.

24471629

Our Numbered Days, by Neil Hilborn. How do you review poetry? I always find it such a daunting task, because poetry is a lot more personal than novels. What we like and what we don’t like won’t always be easily defined, and a great poem for me will fall entirely flat for someone else even if we think we have the same taste in poetry. That said, I absolutely adored this collection. It reminded me a little bit of Melissa Broder and Sam Pink (my favorite modern poets): dark, twisty, emotional, and charged with passion. Many of the poems are about depression and OCD, so I felt a very close personal connection with them that neurotypical readers probably won’t have.

Fun as meditation, meditation being
doing exactly what you want to do
at the exact moment you want
to do it. When I say “I am having fun”
I am also saying “I can’t imagine
being anywhere else.” So suck it,

depression. I don’t need you, I have
not needed you, and even when I don’t
mean it I will say I’m having fun
and I don’t want to be anywhere else.
I will wield my joy like a broadsword
or a fucking nerf gun. I will have
fun like my life depends on it
because it does.

Lipstick Rating5 Full

31501679

Swallowing Mercury, by Wioletta Greg. MBI longlisted. This was an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable novel about a young girl growing up in 1980′s Poland. It’s an interesting mix of those traditional coming of age elements (discovering sexuality, testing the relationship between parent and child, figuring out what it means to be an adult) with the fall of Communism in the background. For example, in one chapter we have the excitement of a girl getting her first real, grown-up dress, tempered with the knowledge that her mother had to purchase such lovely fabric on the black market. These historical details are very much in the background and don’t dominate the narrative, but they do make an important framework. Because of this, I really suggest reading the translator’s note at the back of the book before reading the novel (novella?) if you aren’t familiar with Polish history. It has almost no spoilers, and provides a lot of context that would have otherwise gone over my head.

The writing is sparkling and beautiful. Wioletta Greg is a poet first and storyteller second, which is pretty clear here. There will be absolutely dazzling sentences about decidedly mediocre characters & plot event. Language alone cannot carry a story to greatness, which is my main takeaway here. Coming of age is a genre I usually greatly enjoy, but everything here lacks depth and connection.

It’s really more a series of vignettes or short stories. We get snippets of Wiola’s life, but none of it feels connected. She gets a cat in one chapter, the cat dies in the next, and that’s it. No more mention of the cat except in very brief passing. It basically goes “oh I am happy I have a cat! Oh no, now I am sad there is no more cat. Anyway here’s what happened with my aunt soandso 2 weeks later.” Many of these chapters really could stand alone as short stories, which is not a compliment. It all feels disconnected, both from the reader and from itself.

I feel almost entirely neutral about Swallowing Mercury. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it. I’m sure a few weeks from now I will have trouble even remembering the details of the story, if you can call a series of life snippets a story at all. However, if you like slice of life style fiction this might be a lot more up your alley.

Lipstick Rating 3 Full

34323423

Liquid Status, by Bradley Sands. The blurb for this compares it to Blake Butler, especially There Is No Year, which is right on the money. This is a strange, bizarre little novella about a family that becomes trapped in their house after the grandmother dies in the living room. Things get very strange very quickly: after the door disappears, the first thing that happens is the grandmother turning into a Slip ‘n Slide. And that is one of the least out there things that happens in the pages of Liquid Status.

I gave this a good rating, but it might actually be a little too Blake Butler. The influence is clear, and a harsher reviewer might even call it derivative. But there’s a humor here that you don’t find in Butler’s writing. The bizarre events have an element of comedy to go along with the horror, and I actually laughed aloud at some passages. But it’s missing the hallucinatory power of Butler’s language, and at the end I was left a little more puzzled than enraptured.

Bizarro is a genre I do enjoy when done right, and I sadly find that most things in the genre are misses for me. I want there to be some reason behind the strangeness, a meaning the reader can at least try to eke out. Writers like Jeremy Robert Johnson do this very well, and of course Blake Butler (though personally I would never classify him as bizarro), and I think I can safely add Bradley Sands to that category. I did want a little more from Liquid Status than I got, but in the end I’m very glad to have found a new author to follow.

Lipstick Rating 4 Full

31830414

The Dark Circle, by Linda Grant. Bailey’s shortlisted. The last of the Bailey’s books I plan on tackling! I haven’t read the whole longlist (though I might eventually get to Barkskins), but I do think 13 out of 16 is pretty good. My main goal was to get to the entire shortlist, and this is the last of those 6 I had unread.

The name does make it seem like this will be a more moody and dark book than it actually is. While the plot, which centers on two twins who end up in a tuberculosis sanatorium before a cure is discovered, it certainly not sunshine and rainbows, it’s got a strongly positive core. There is a large and diverse cast at the sanatorium: men and women from all walks of life, and while their lives are far from pleasant they form strong bonds and friendships.

This is not the type of book I would normally pick up, but I found it quite enjoyable. It was basically everything I wanted from The Ballroom. The writing is beautiful, the setting is slow and atmospheric, the cast of characters is very strong. However, I did not find it particularly memorable. While I’m certainly not upset that I read it, it’s also not a book that will stick with me down the line.

Lipstick Rating 3 And 1 Half

31936168

The Unseen, by Roy Jacobsen. MBI shortlisted. Oddly enough, the things I loved about The Unseen were things I had issues with in Swallowing Mercury. They both have short chapters and most of them could stand alone as short stories. The Unseen is about a family on an isolated island in Norway and we get snippets of their daily life throughout quite a few years. And while some of the chapters were almost stand-alones, there was more connectivity on The Unseen and I felt like the characters were significantly more engaging and sympathetic.

This is a dark, desolate book. The lives of all the characters are very harsh, and there is little for them to live for other than their family. The island they live on seems to be actively working against them: for example, the father decides to build a structure on their property, and it is almost instantly blown down during a harsh storm. Yet he keeps trying, constructing the bones of the new structure again and again until he gets it right.

There is a level of futility beneath the surface here. Everything seems to go wrong at the most inopportune moment. Life on the island seems almost hopeless, and yet our family keeps trudging forward against the current. It’s poetic in a way, but also depressing. However, I really enjoyed the bleakness and felt like it was delivered amazingly well. While of course this is a book in translation, Jacobsen can spin a beautiful sentence and tell a mesmerizing story.

Lipstick Rating 4 And 1 Half

30221916

Fuku Fuku Kitten Tales Vol 2, by Konami Kanata. It’s a cute manga about kittens, what more could you want? While the stories here do not have the depth of emotion you find in The Complete Chi’s Sweet Home, Part 1, they’re sure to please any cat lover. No one does feline faces and emotions like Kanata Konami: they’re so perfect and adorable! And, of course, very relateable for any cat owner.

Lipstick Rating 4 Full

30197853

A Taste of Honey, by Kai Ashante Wilson. Hugo Novella Nominee. What a pleasant surprise this was! I honestly only read it because it was a Hugo novella nominee, and I am so glad I made that choice. Everything about this sparkled. The setting, the character, the stories… I’m in love!

A Taste of Honey tells the story of Aqib, who lives in a very homophobic society. It’s a fantasy setting, of course, but a unique one. Instead of generic European medieval lands, this is African fantasy. The setting is lush, vibrant, and captivating. Aqib works in the royal menagerie, which involves things like taking a tame cheetah out hunting and teaching pink bears to dance. There is also magic, of course, since this is fantasy… but it’s very strange magic. In fact, it’s basically math. And, in a clever twist on the ‘women are the most magical gender’ trope, math is now considered “women’s work.” I say now because there are some hints that this is perhaps Earth way in the future, after an apocalypse that poisoned the planet. There are also all kinds of other witches who do things like talk to birds and lift 10 times their body weight, but it’s also implied that this is connected to opening some part of the brain with, you guessed it, math! We even have math-powered god beings. Wilson manages to squeeze a huge amount of world building into a very slim volume.

At the beginning of the story, Aqib falls in love with the visiting soldier Lucrio. It’s forbidden for them to be together of course, and while this is a fantasy novel it’s also a romance. It’s told in a non-linear fashion, but each section is dated (either by Aqib’s age or by the days he & Lucrio spent together) so it never gets confusing or convoluted. It’s very easy to follow all the threads, and there are a lot of them! The ending was completely unexpected and actually left me a bit teary, which is saying a lot. Wilson managed to make me care so deeply about these characters in well under 200 pages.

Lipstick Rating 4 And 1 Half

If looking over this list has taught me anything, it’s that I have very strange taste in books.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

71 Responses to “Reading Wrapup: Dewey’s 24 Hour Readathon April 2017”

1. hi January 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm #

Fine way of describing, and pleasant post to get facts regarding my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey
    in college.

2. Denny January 27, 2019 at 3:47 am #

Schwab Intelligent Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

3. Mariano January 27, 2019 at 5:35 am #

Now it is time to pick your specific investments.

4. Jocelyn January 27, 2019 at 10:20 am #

Buyers do pay direct and oblique prices.

5. Teresa January 27, 2019 at 11:40 am #

Contemplate investments that offer rapid annuities.

6. brazilian steakhouse tacoma January 27, 2019 at 9:54 pm #

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t
    loading properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.

I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both
    show the same outcome.

7. brazil flag image January 28, 2019 at 5:40 am #

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how concerning unexpected emotions.

8. Teri January 28, 2019 at 5:44 am #

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it
    up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future.
    Many thanks

9. Sherman January 29, 2019 at 3:22 am #

This is true for investment recommendation as properly.

10. Sibyl January 30, 2019 at 10:36 am #

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?

11. brazil nuts cholesterol February 1, 2019 at 9:33 pm #

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Appreciate it!

12. furtdso linopv February 3, 2019 at 8:44 am #

Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

13. Antonia February 5, 2019 at 11:24 pm #

Financial advisors enterprise is individuals enterprise.

14. Florida February 6, 2019 at 9:19 pm #

All varieties of investments come with sure risks.

15. browse this site February 7, 2019 at 10:55 pm #

I just want to say I am just all new to blogging and site-building and certainly liked your web-site. Probably I’m likely to bookmark your blog . You surely have exceptional articles and reviews. Kudos for sharing with us your web-site.

16. John Deere Service Manuals February 8, 2019 at 8:36 pm #

Perfect work you have done, this website is really cool with superb info .

17. Grady February 9, 2019 at 1:00 am #

Monetary advisors enterprise is individuals enterprise.

18. Alana February 9, 2019 at 1:20 am #

Monetary advisors enterprise is individuals enterprise.

19. John Deere Diagnostic and Test Manuals February 9, 2019 at 11:35 am #

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. Nevertheless just imagine if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this site could certainly be one of the greatest in its field. Great blog!

20. John Deere Repair Manuals February 10, 2019 at 3:53 pm #

I like the stuff you put in here. Very relevant information. Consider yourself saved.

21. Jacquelyn February 12, 2019 at 1:38 am #

Schwab Clever Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

22. Mittie February 13, 2019 at 4:28 am #

This is true for investment recommendation as nicely.

23. Royce February 13, 2019 at 3:02 pm #

Schwab Intelligent Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

24. Isla February 14, 2019 at 1:10 am #

Financial advisors enterprise is folks enterprise.

25. Rufina Zegar February 14, 2019 at 4:02 pm #

It seems there are websites and blogs devoted to many activities, such tv, music, lives of celebrities, etc.. . But I really cannot find websites and blogs devoted to reading, unfortunately an afterthought when it comes to pastimes.. . Anyone know some really popular and great ones? Classic and current literature are both cool with me, since I read both.. . Thanks so much! =o).

26. Sergio February 15, 2019 at 12:04 am #

A financial advisor is your planning accomplice.

27. Delbert February 15, 2019 at 1:57 am #

Financial advisors business is individuals enterprise.

28. Hunter Chiara February 15, 2019 at 7:11 pm #

How to get FireFox or any browser up first on reboot?

29. Shara Patanella February 16, 2019 at 12:14 am #

How do Microsoft and the owners of Firefox make money? Google is planning to create a browser also to compete with them called “chrome”. I was wondering where does the source of revenue come in? There are no ads, etc. These programs are free..

30. Anibal February 16, 2019 at 1:02 am #

Schwab Intelligent Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

31. Trevor February 16, 2019 at 3:11 pm #

Buyers do pay direct and indirect prices.

32. Shanel February 17, 2019 at 12:12 am #

Schwab Clever Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

33. Freeman February 17, 2019 at 12:52 am #

A monetary advisor is your planning associate.

34. Oren February 17, 2019 at 5:27 pm #

Now it is time to choose your particular investments.

35. Special automobiles need special towing vehicles.

36. Tractor Workshop Manuals February 18, 2019 at 9:37 pm #

Thank you for making my personal students have access to your website post. Your kindness will be greatly appreciated. I’ve got some ongoing projects and I wanted all these students assist me with it. The only way they could do this was carry out some exploration on the internet so as to help make my work faster. They came across your site along with the content on it, specially this blog post, seriously helped them to come to good conclusions on things we needed to carry out. Of course, I will continue to visit the site for new updates on this major and other issues useful.

37. Marla February 19, 2019 at 3:45 am #

Traders do pay direct and indirect costs.

38. Ivey February 19, 2019 at 4:12 pm #

I just couldn’t go away your website before suggesting that I actually enjoyed
    the usual information an individual provide in your guests?

Is going to be again ceaselessly in order to inspect new posts

39. Shiela February 19, 2019 at 5:34 pm #

I’ve learn several excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for
    revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you place to create this sort of excellent informative web site.

40. Lesley Hackler February 20, 2019 at 11:44 am #

How to apply for google adsense account for my all 3 blogs and 2 websites ?

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Google - February 7, 2019

Google

Every after in a when we pick out blogs that we read. Listed beneath would be the most current web sites that we pick out.

2. wf395btpawra2 - February 9, 2019

wf395btpawr%2Fa2

[...]here are some hyperlinks to sites that we link to simply because we consider they are really worth visiting[...]

3. penis extender sleeve - February 10, 2019

penis extender sleeve

[...]always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I love but do not get quite a bit of link like from[...]

4. buy nipple clamps - February 10, 2019

buy nipple clamps

[...]very few websites that come about to become detailed beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly well really worth checking out[...]

5. how to use anal beads - February 10, 2019

how to use anal beads

[...]Sites of interest we have a link to[...]

6. windows vps - February 12, 2019

windows vps

[...]Here is a great Blog You may Come across Exciting that we Encourage You[...]

7. бесплатно mp3 - February 12, 2019

бесплатно mp3

[...]Here are a few of the web-sites we recommend for our visitors[...]

8. vibrating anal toy - February 12, 2019

vibrating anal toy

[...]Sites of interest we have a link to[...]

9. best vibrating dildo - February 12, 2019

best vibrating dildo

[...]just beneath, are numerous absolutely not connected web pages to ours, having said that, they’re certainly worth going over[...]

10. dual pleasure vibrator - February 13, 2019

dual pleasure vibrator

[...]The information and facts mentioned within the write-up are several of the best offered [...]

11. male p spot massager - February 13, 2019

male p spot massager

[...]check beneath, are some absolutely unrelated websites to ours, nevertheless, they are most trustworthy sources that we use[...]

12. anal plug kits - February 13, 2019

anal plug kits

[...]here are some hyperlinks to sites that we link to since we assume they’re really worth visiting[...]

13. icicles glass toys - February 13, 2019

icicles glass toys

[...]here are some hyperlinks to sites that we link to because we feel they are worth visiting[...]

14. ferienwohnung büsum zentrum - February 14, 2019

ferienwohnung büsum zentrum

[...]Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated data, nonetheless seriously really worth taking a look, whoa did one master about Mid East has got much more problerms too [...]

15. 토토사이트 검증 - February 14, 2019

토토사이트 검증

[...]here are some links to web-sites that we link to because we believe they’re really worth visiting[...]

16. 먹튀검증 - February 15, 2019

먹튀검증

[...]below you’ll obtain the link to some internet sites that we feel it is best to visit[...]

17. 메이저공원 - February 15, 2019

메이저공원

[...]although internet sites we backlink to below are considerably not related to ours, we feel they are really worth a go via, so have a look[...]

18. 사다리사이트 - February 15, 2019

사다리사이트

[...]please stop by the internet sites we stick to, such as this one particular, because it represents our picks through the web[...]

19. فیلم سکسی - February 15, 2019

فیلم سکسی

[...]here are some links to web sites that we link to due to the fact we think they are really worth visiting[...]

20. الام تتناك من ابنها - February 15, 2019

الام تتناك من ابنها

[...]we like to honor a lot of other web web sites around the internet, even if they aren’t linked to us, by linking to them. Under are some webpages worth checking out[...]

21. LolyCam 18+ - February 16, 2019

LolyCam 18+

[...]The details talked about in the report are some of the ideal readily available [...]

22. 토토사이트 - February 17, 2019

토토사이트

[...]we came across a cool internet site that you just could possibly take pleasure in. Take a look should you want[...]

23. 안전공원 - February 17, 2019

안전공원

[...]please pay a visit to the websites we comply with, like this a single, as it represents our picks in the web[...]

24. Bulgari BLV Pour Homme Mannen 50ml eau de toilette - February 18, 2019

Bulgari BLV Pour Homme Mannen 50ml eau de toilette

[...]Here is a great Blog You might Discover Interesting that we Encourage You[...]

25. mature sex - February 18, 2019

mature sex

[...]The info mentioned in the article are a few of the most effective accessible [...]

26. شركة نقل عفش في الكويت - February 18, 2019

شركة نقل عفش في الكويت

[...]please pay a visit to the internet sites we follow, which includes this one particular, as it represents our picks in the web[...]

27. 天然石 - February 19, 2019

天然石

[...]always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I adore but do not get quite a bit of link really like from[...]

28. conclusione tesina - February 19, 2019

conclusione tesina

[...]that is the finish of this post. Here you’ll obtain some internet sites that we think you will enjoy, just click the links over[...]

29. il commediografo latino che scrisse l'aulularia - February 19, 2019

il commediografo latino che scrisse l’aulularia

[...]please pay a visit to the websites we comply with, which includes this one particular, because it represents our picks in the web[...]

30. tesina sul concetto di limite - February 20, 2019

tesina sul concetto di limite

[...]although web sites we backlink to beneath are considerably not associated to ours, we really feel they’re actually really worth a go by way of, so possess a look[...]

31. garage doors installers - February 21, 2019

garage doors installers

[...]here are some links to web pages that we link to for the reason that we believe they may be really worth visiting[...]