October 2015 Wrapup: Weeks 3 & 4

5 Nov

Sadly, spooky book month has come and gone! Even though I will probably continue reading horror into November because it’s really what I am in the mood for. I read a ton of great stuff in October, and I feel good about how much I got through even though (for the first time this year!) I didn’t read a series. I just wasn’t feeling it and didn’t want to force myself to read something I didn’t want to. So, aside from that one Kate Daniels novel at the beginning of the month, no series this month! Which I actually feel okay about.

21950347

Burnt Black Suns, by Simon Strantza. Finished Oct 21st. So this month I was really in the mood for short stories, especially horror and new weird ones. I blame it on Cthulhurotica! People who love Laird Barron recommend this collection over and over, so I had to take a shot at it. The opening story (“On Ice”) is a wonderful Lovecraftian tale, and there’s some Ligotti inspired work here as well, but a lot of it is original in both concept and execution. “One Last Bloom,” a short novella about scientists and creepy things under the sea, was by far my favorite.

Lipstick Rating 4 Full

22434155

Blackout, by Tim Curran. Finished October 22nd. This book sounds like everything you’d want in an October book. The storm of the century! Tentacles descending from the sky! A small town plagued by horror! Sadly, it falls completely flat. Sure, the core concept is really cool (and the ending is the only thing that saves it from mediocrity), but nothing else stood up. The characters were boring, the action was so expected, the plot was… kind of dull. Kind of disappointing, because the monsters were totally fantastic.

Lipstick Rating 2 And 1 Half

21948649

The Children of the Old Leech, curated by Ross E. Lockhart. Finished October 23rd. I adore Laird Barron, so of course I had to read a collection inspired by this cosmos. Sadly, this was not exactly what I was expecting. None of the stories have that same spark that Barron puts in everything he touches, it’s more just stories set in his world (but lacking a lot of my favorite elements). The entire first half was, for the most part, kind of dull. But the second half was incredibly strong with a lot of great stories. It left me feeling like I really enjoyed it, but looking back it was just terribly uneven. The stories should have been in a totally different order, and I wish there had been more… pizzazz? in them. Some of the stories were 5 stars for sure, but it’s hard to rate overall because I was kind of disappointed in the experience.

Lipstick Rating 3 Full

17839778

The Wide, Carnivorous Sky by John Langan. Finished October 26th. After a kind of mediocre short story collection, I read an amazing one. SO amazing. Everything about this is perfect. John Langan takes classic horror tropes, like zombies, vampires, exorcism, and werewolves, and mashes them up with super inventive story structures. There’s a play, a movie, a classroom lecture, and a second-person piece of investigative journalism. Interspersed are stories inspired by the greats, like Lovecraft and The King In Yellow. The writing in this collection is so amazing: weird, lush, and wildly innovative. I’m totally in love with this author.

Lipstick Rating5 Full

24499258

Slade House, by David Mitchell. Finished October 27th. Usually we get a David Mitchell book every 4 years, so it was weird to have one a year after The Bone Clocks. But the two are connected, so it makes sense! This is a novella about a house–kind of a haunted house (so it fits the spooky book month theme)–that appears every 9 years. And the plot is directly connected to all the magical goings-on of TBC, so the two are linked. You could technically read Slade House without having read TBC, but I wouldn’t recommend it. There are so many references (both to TBC and other Mitchell novels) that this really is not a good starting place. But if you are a Mitchell fan, this book is like candy. Intensely creepy, suffused with magical realism and great characters, along with a tight plot that brings in some great characters from other novels. I actually liked this more than The Bone Clocks: the plot was tighter and the magic system seemed more cohesive (though that’s probably because I knew all about it before I went in).

Lipstick Rating 4 Full

22357746

The Queen, by Tiffany Reisz. Finished October 28th. I have been reading the Original Sinners book series for years. The characters practically feel like extended family. And now we’ve come to the end. This book was kind of heartbreaking to read, because I knew I’d get to the end and then it would be over. I can’t mention anything about the plot because it would just be… a lot of spoilers, but it was perfect. A great end for all the characters, along with a really nice explanation of what happened before the first book kicked off. Nora, I’m going to miss you so much!

Lipstick Rating5 Full

5356476

The Red Tree, by Caitlín R. Kiernan. Finished October 31st. It’s fitting that I spent a month reading horror and saved the creepiest book for last (though not intentionally). Caitlin Kiernan is mentioned whenever someone brings up Laird Barron, John Langan, and all those guys (who I have obviously been exploring in depth this month) so of course I just had to read her. This novel is amazing–it has a simple plot that allows the horror to really build to peak tension, and also my favorite plot device: the book-in-a-book! There’s both a found manuscript and mysterious short stories over the course of The Red Tree, which is basically my favorite thing ever. It’s so creepy and atmospheric, with moments of absolutely chilling horror.

Lipstick Rating5 Full

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 Responses to “October 2015 Wrapup: Weeks 3 & 4”

1. brazil flag vector January 25, 2019 at 7:09 pm #

If you desire to increase your familiarity just keep
    visiting this site and be updated with the most recent gossip posted here.

2. Dave January 26, 2019 at 7:55 pm #

And that is an investment risk worth taking.

3. brazilian wax at home January 26, 2019 at 9:35 pm #

Saved as a favorite, I love your blog!

4. Clemmie January 27, 2019 at 12:33 am #

Buyers do pay direct and oblique costs.

5. Margery January 27, 2019 at 3:00 am #

Consider investments that provide instant annuities.

6. Adam January 27, 2019 at 2:17 pm #

Thank you on your curiosity in Funding Recommendation.

7. Brandy January 27, 2019 at 3:50 pm #

And this is an investment risk price taking.

8. brazil flag coloring page January 27, 2019 at 4:53 pm #

I’m not certain the place you are getting your info,
    however great topic. I must spend some time studying much more or understanding more.
    Thank you for fantastic info I used to be searching for
    this info for my mission.

9. Janessa January 27, 2019 at 7:00 pm #

And that is an funding danger price taking.

10. Josette January 27, 2019 at 7:43 pm #

And this is an investment threat price taking.

11. Shayla January 27, 2019 at 8:12 pm #

Financial advisors business is individuals business.

12. brazil nuts cholesterol January 27, 2019 at 10:58 pm #

I always spent my half an hour to read this website’s content every
    day along with a mug of coffee.

13. Kaylee January 28, 2019 at 4:10 pm #

The other day, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and
    tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so
    she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she
    has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to
    share it with someone!

14. brazil flag gif January 28, 2019 at 7:48 pm #

I have been surfing online more than 3 hours lately,
    yet I never discovered any fascinating article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all
    web owners and bloggers made just right content material as you probably did, the internet will likely be much more useful than ever before.

15. Jacques January 30, 2019 at 10:09 am #

Hi there! I simply would like to offer you a huge
    thumbs up for the great information you’ve got here
    on this post. I will be coming back to your web site for more soon.

16. Angeles February 2, 2019 at 6:24 pm #

I think everything posted made a lot of sense. But, what about this?
    what if you were to write a killer headline? I ain’t saying your content
    is not good., however what if you added something to maybe get folk’s attention? I mean October 2015 Wrapup:
    Weeks 3 & 4 | Lipstick & Libraries is a little boring.
    You could peek at Yahoo’s home page and note how they create news titles to get viewers to open the links.
    You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to get
    readers interested about what you’ve got to say.
    In my opinion, it could bring your website a little bit more interesting.

17. This Site February 7, 2019 at 12:47 pm #

I just want to say I’m new to blogs and really savored you’re website. Probably I’m going to bookmark your blog . You actually have outstanding writings. Cheers for revealing your website.

18. Isobel February 8, 2019 at 3:16 am #

And this is an funding risk value taking.

19. Micheal February 8, 2019 at 4:31 am #

Monetary advisors business is people business.

20. Eunice February 9, 2019 at 12:30 am #

This is true for investment recommendation as well.

21. Dani February 9, 2019 at 2:00 am #

All types of investments include sure risks.

22. Vito February 10, 2019 at 11:47 pm #

Financial advisors enterprise is individuals enterprise.

23. Jimmy February 11, 2019 at 1:34 am #

Investors do pay direct and oblique prices.

24. Tyrone February 12, 2019 at 12:50 am #

That is true for funding recommendation as effectively.

25. 더킹카지노 February 12, 2019 at 6:55 pm #

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
    It is the liottle changes that will make the most significant changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

26. Trent Witt February 14, 2019 at 11:30 pm #

I’m on business propranolol 10 mg dosering It is rare to be allowed to see a group of professional dancers go through their daily class. If you are lucky, it is something you are invited to, and you sit very, very quietly, squashing yourself into a corner, hardly daring to breathe because you don’t want to do anything that might interfere with the smooth running of this vital ritual. And then you just observe.

27. Elissa February 15, 2019 at 12:57 am #

Schwab Intelligent Portfolios invests in Schwab ETFs.

28. Darrick Waring February 16, 2019 at 12:56 pm #

I have a new filming and editing businesses in which I run.. Its not a big popular job so I want to advertise it by creating a web site. How do I start a website thats not too expensive and its easy to use?.

29. Selecting a towing service doesn’t have to be difficult.

30. Automobiles are immobilized because of accidents.

31. Hye February 19, 2019 at 12:43 am #

And this is an funding risk price taking.

32. Jim February 19, 2019 at 3:34 am #

And that is an funding danger worth taking.

33. Lewis Timi February 19, 2019 at 6:20 am #

Great article! This is the type of information hat should be shared across the net.Disgrace on the seek engines for now not positioningthis publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my site. Thank you =)

34. Elizabet Aveles February 19, 2019 at 4:53 pm #

Simply a smiling visitor here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style and design .

35. Gwyn Scheuers February 21, 2019 at 12:24 am #

My home computer is hooked up to a router. I would like to have access to my home computer’s webcam through my work computer. . My home computer is hooked up through a DSL modem and is always on.. My work computer obviously has access to the Internet..