Scents For The Apocalypse: Black Phoenix Alchemy’s Ragnarok

9 Apr

Ragnarok

Ragnarok has come and gone and, sadly, there were no wolves eating the moon or giants running rampant. I believe I’ve mentioned before on L&L what a mythology geek I am and how much I love anything even vaguely apocalyptic, so it was a bit of a letdown. I mean, there wasn’t even an eclipse or anything. Get it together, Nordic gods. Thankfully Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab has a line of Ragnarok-themed blends to ease my apocalypse-less pain. There were a total of ten and I ordered 4 (3 decants, one full bottle) since it’s a… well, controversial mix of scents, with a lot of blood and rocks and death going on. My picks seemed to be the most user-friendly though I do now regret not getting The Battle of Vigridr (it’s got dirt in it, okay!).

The Laughter of Loki: (Serpentine green musk with fiery red ginger, sweet basil, alder leaf, white patchouli, cistus, and mistletoe) Of course I had to get a full bottle of this. It’s Loki. And not “not a trickster” Avengers Loki (I love Joss but not even he could redeem nothing-to-do-with-mythology-Marvel-Loki, okay?), but actual murder-and-mayhem-and-horse-birthing Loki. This is a strange, fickle and interesting scent. At first the patchouli is WAY strong, overpowering really, but it tones down and an odd mix of hot and cool comes into play. A hint of herbs from the mistletoe and sweet basil, heat from the ginger, wisps of floral from the cistus (which is rockrose). It’s very masculine and in-your-face and I looooove it.

The Waters of the Well of Wisdom: (Cool, dark water steeped with mugwort, mayweed, and thyme) This is a soft, murky aquatic with no traces of the saltiness you get in an ocean blend. The herbs give it a soothing tone and this is a… motherly? blend. That’s the best way I can describe it. Like being in the cottage of a grandmotherly witch. I don’t know if it’s particularly wearable outside of the house but I will work through my vial of this for sure.

The Sword of Surtur: (Iron and fire: red-hot ginger, fossilized amber, prickly poppy, red cedar, cubeb, star anise, and scorpion pepper) HOT. My love of Surtur stretches back to his appearance in Shin Megami Tensei; Nocturne (that boss battle), and this is pretty much exactly what I imagine him smelling like. Cedar and pepper are at the forefront with flames of ginger nipping at your nose. The star anise is an almost-licorice note, and there’s a bit of sweetness from the poppy, but this is a dramatic, bold smell that does not hold back.

The Fimbul Winter: (The scent of utter desolation: three long white winters ushering in the end of the world) I was expecting ice-cold, biting wind, but… I guess there are limits to what a perfume can do. I have yet to find a perfect “cold” snow note, though the best one I’ve seen has come from BPAL (in Skadi). But The Fimbul Winter is… bright, slush, and citrus. With a hint of… mint, and ozone. Not at all what I expected! I’m glad I didn’t get a full bottle of this because it’s nice, but I have a similar scent. And on that note…

BONUS ROUND: Fimbul Winter vs Yellow Snowballs (Slushy white mint, vanilla cream, lemon drops, grapefruit, and yuzu!). Fimbul Winter is lemon lemon LEMONNN. Yellow Snowballs is yuzu and grapefruit, my two favorite citrus scents. It also has a hint of cinnamon (??? where is that even from) while Fimbul Winter is more minty. For me, obviously, Yellow Snowballs is the winner. But they both share the same slushy/ice/ozone note, so if you missed Yellow Snowballs and are looking for a replacement this would fit nicely. And, on the flipside, if you have Yellow Snowballs and were looking into getting this… well, you probably don’t need to, unless citrus + snow is your most favorite thing.

This was an odd, fascinating (for me at least) release: many scents that don’t seem at all marketable, but sold well. I think this is probably the best example of BPAL’s ingenuity: their notes capture Ragnarok so perfectly, but still manage to smell interesting and nice. Especially after Lupercalia, which was all flowers and cream and sweetness. The Ragnarok blends were slated to come down on April 1st but they are still up… so if you want one, don’t sit around and wait!

Tags: , , , , , ,

39 Responses to “Scents For The Apocalypse: Black Phoenix Alchemy’s Ragnarok”

1. hi January 24, 2019 at 8:03 pm #

It’s truly a nice and useful piece of info. I am
    happy that you just shared this useful info with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

2. brazil nuts cholesterol January 27, 2019 at 1:54 am #

If some one desires to be updated with most up-to-date technologies then he must be
    pay a visit this site and be up to date every day.

3. Eleanor January 27, 2019 at 6:52 am #

This is true for funding advice as properly.

4. Charissa January 27, 2019 at 3:44 pm #

Contemplate investments that offer instant annuities.

5. brazil flag colors January 28, 2019 at 6:42 am #

An intriguing discussion is definitely worth comment.
    I do believe that you ought to write more
    about this issue, it might not be a taboo matter but usually folks don’t
    speak about such topics. To the next! Cheers!!

6. Dessie January 29, 2019 at 4:43 am #

Contemplate investments that provide rapid annuities.

7. Alva January 30, 2019 at 2:41 am #

And this is an investment risk value taking.

8. Adele January 30, 2019 at 2:42 am #

Think about investments that supply rapid annuities.

9. Melissa January 30, 2019 at 10:44 am #

Hi to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this web site, and your views are pleasant in favor of new people.

10. Annette January 31, 2019 at 2:05 pm #

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.

Nevertheless imagine if you added some great images or
    videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and video
    clips, this site could undeniably be one of the best
    in its niche. Excellent blog!

11. brazil flag vector February 1, 2019 at 5:58 pm #

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an really long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr…

well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyways, just
    wanted to say excellent blog!

12. brazilian steakhouse des moines February 1, 2019 at 7:48 pm #

Thank you, I have just been searching for information approximately this subject for a long time
    and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now.
    However, what about the bottom line? Are you certain concerning the
    supply?

13. Horacio February 3, 2019 at 11:36 pm #

All kinds of investments come with certain dangers.

14. check my source February 7, 2019 at 8:42 pm #

I simply want to mention I am just newbie to blogs and seriously enjoyed you’re blog site. More than likely I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You really come with fabulous well written articles. Many thanks for sharing your blog site.

15. Joseph February 10, 2019 at 1:18 pm #

A monetary advisor is your planning accomplice.

16. Preston February 11, 2019 at 3:55 am #

A monetary advisor is your planning companion.

17. John Deere Diagnostic and Test Manuals February 11, 2019 at 6:34 am #

Hello! I simply want to make a huge thumbs up for the great info you might have here for this post. I will be coming back to your blog site to get more soon.

18. Iola February 12, 2019 at 12:43 am #

A monetary advisor is your planning partner.

19. Meagan February 12, 2019 at 12:51 am #

Thank you in your interest in Investment Advice.

20. Ciara February 12, 2019 at 7:20 am #

That is true for investment advice as properly.

21. Brooks February 12, 2019 at 9:52 am #

All kinds of investments include sure risks.

22. Kattie February 13, 2019 at 2:19 am #

That is true for investment advice as well.

23. Mark February 13, 2019 at 12:59 pm #

Buyers do pay direct and oblique prices.

24. Samara February 14, 2019 at 1:44 am #

Financial advisors business is folks business.

25. Karolin February 14, 2019 at 6:54 am #

Monetary advisors enterprise is folks enterprise.

26. Trevor Desselle February 15, 2019 at 10:26 pm #

How do I restore my computer to an earlier time when the “Restore” feature on my computer is not working. I have tried over a dozen times to restore my computer and I keep getting the error message “computer could not be restored to this date. No changes have been made. Try another date.” Try another date the same thing happens.. . All of my personal files were deleted from my computer and I want to get them back. Have no clue how this happened. Checked the recycle bin and none of them were there. It is as if they simply disappeared off my computer. Please help. Thank you!.

27. Stacy February 16, 2019 at 1:02 am #

Contemplate investments that offer quick annuities.

28. Katherin February 16, 2019 at 2:01 am #

Buyers do pay direct and indirect prices.

29. Ima Legel February 16, 2019 at 4:26 am #

Would you be enthusiastic about exchanging links?

30. Johanna Giacomini February 16, 2019 at 6:40 am #

Hey i have an old xp computer ant want to make it a client of my newer vista home premium computer. I hear that there is a program out there that when u boot up the (client computer) u come straight to the welcome screen on the base computer (the one with vista on it) some how they are connected threw the network. Any ideas?.

31. Mike February 18, 2019 at 2:30 am #

All forms of investments include sure dangers.

32. Edgardo Farquharson February 18, 2019 at 3:47 pm #

I use firefox and some nights at 12:00 exactly or 12:30 exactly, firefox stops working and does not load a page. The internet connection is perfectly fine though because it says excellent. I am connected to a home router and the signal strength is always excellent. I do not know why this happens at exactly 12:00 or 12:30 on my desktop time but it’s a pain. I’ve tried “ping”ing and everything looks fine..

33. Shela February 19, 2019 at 1:27 am #

Now it is time to decide your specific investments.

34. Norma February 19, 2019 at 4:30 am #

Now it is time to choose your specific investments.

35. These drivers can even change tires on automobiles.

36. Cedric February 19, 2019 at 6:53 am #

Now it is time to choose your specific investments.

37. Gigi Olivarez February 19, 2019 at 7:55 am #

I¡¦ll immediately seize your rss feed as I can not in finding your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognise so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

38. Karl Potanovic February 19, 2019 at 6:20 pm #

I don’t even know the way I stopped up right here, however I believed this publish used to be good. I do not know who you might be but certainly you are going to a well-known blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

39. Lamont Robicheaux February 20, 2019 at 6:14 pm #

I love to write. I mean, I really love to write. It’s probably the only passion I have stronger than love. But I need to know what college to go to.. . What college should I go to for Creative Writing?.